The Hartz brand of products, which the EPA has previously taken action against, continues to harm pets and threaten their lives. This line of flea treatments for cats and dogs, is making owners unwittingly poison their own pets. Despite the EPA requiring Hartz Mountain Corp to previously change their packaging and labelling, not enough has been done to make consumers aware of the dangers.
These products should be, at the very least, removed from retail outlets so that it may only be administered by veterinarians or other professionals.
I discovered the dangers of this product when I was informed that this product had almost killed my childhood pet. Administered, according to the instructions, on Monday, December 10, for the following few days he had no appetite or strength and seemed very ill. On the morning of December 13, 2012 he had a series of seizures and almost died. Edit: On Sunday, December 16, 2012, my sweet Toto had to be put to sleep because of kidney and liver failure.
Research on this product was done that evening and we discovered the website hartzvictims.org which showcases user submitted stories about what happened to their own pets. These incidents are not a fluke, rare occurrence but something that is happening to people's pets regularly.
This product should not be sold as a medicine for animals.
My hope is to write letters to the EPA and FDA as well as my congressional representatives to request that some action and investigation be taken into this product. Your signature will help show how many people are invested in ensuring this does not continue to happen to innocent pet and pet owners.