I would like to ask your cooperation in signing a petition to the Cairns Regional Council requesting an upgrade to three streets in Cairns North.
McLean Street, Short Street and Little McLeod Street are three small streets that form the thoroughfare between Collins Avenue and Greenslopes Street, incorpoating the Red Arrow, The Tanks, Botanic Gardens, the Cultural Precinct and the Edge Hill village.
I believe these streets, in their current condition, are very dangerous!
** HOW LONG WILL IT BE BEFORE THERE IS A SERIOUS ACCIDENT HERE! **
Many motorists believe the road is a one-way street, due to the lack of line markings and poor quality of the bitumen. There is also confusion over the rules regarding who gives way at the speed bump on McLean Street.
The road has pot holes and unfinished edges, and in the two places where there are line markings, they are to a very poor standard.
Along these three streets, there are almost 300 residences, including The Lakes Resort, which attracts tour buses and service delivery trucks.
There is a Daycare Centre on the Little McLeod Street end, and an international language college and Primary School near McLean Street. This route is also used by SunBus, and numerous pedestrians each day exercising at The Red Arrow.
I wish to propose the following to Cairns Regional Council:
* Reduction of speed limit to 40km/hour
* Improve signage and linemarking on the northern approach of McLean Street, that vehicles must Give Way to Oncoming Traffic at the speed bump
* Line marking the entire section, including McLean Street, Short Street and Little McLeod Street.
* A Give Way sign at the intersection of Short Street and Little McLeod Street
* Repairs to the bitumen, particularly laying bitumen the entire way across the roads to the sides.
* Development of a footpath along McLean Street, removing pedestrians from walking on the street