1. The responsibility of getting the roads and streets swept, and garbage collected and disposed of is distributed betweenHUDA and the Municipal Corporation of Gurgaon (MCG) . While the jurisdiction of MCG mainly includes the rural habitations that dot Gurgaon, the rest of Gurgaon falls within the HUDA jurisdiction. MCG has a website that clearly spells out its jurisdiction, HUDA does not. That is, HUDA makes no attempt to inform the citizens of Gurgaon as to which sectors/neighbourhoods fall within its jurisdiction so far as sanitation is concerned.
2. ALL work related to sweeping/cleaning of roads and collection/disposal of garbage has been outsourced by bothHUDA and MCG . In the case of MCG, all information regarding the organisations to which such work has been awarded, as well as a copy of the contract, is available on the website. No such information is available for HUDA.
3. If the contactor does not satisfactorily discharge his duties, and a citizen lodges an online complaint on the MCG website, the contractor is bound by the contract to take remedial action within a stipulated time period, or face a deduction in the amount paid to him. For HUDA, there is no such facility for registering complaints.
4. So, if a citizen wishes that HUDA would take action regarding a particular road/street not having been swept, or gabage not having been removed from a particular spot, he has NO information regarding whom to complain to, and within what period to expect a response.
5. If we want, as conscientious citizens, to get a cleaner Gurgaon, we FIRST have to ensure that all the relevant information is easily available, especially on a website.