Marine turtles need your help
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
Marine turtles have covered vast distances across the world's oceans, performing a vital and integral role in marine and coastal ecosystems. However, human activities have lately tipped the scales against the survival of these ancient animals. Urgent global action is needed to ensure their future.
Out of 7 species of marine turtles, 3 are classified as critically endangered by IUCN and a further 3 are classified as endangered. Some of the main threats they are facing are habitat loss and degradation, hunting and poaching, trade, incidental capture, climate change, pollution, disease, natural predators and introduced species.
What is WWF doing to help them?
- Establishing and strengthening protected areas around nesting beaches.
- Raising awareness and promoting ecotourism at marine turtle sites.
- Promoting regional and international agreements to conserve marine turtles.
- Lobbying for turtle-friendly fishing practices, such as the use of turtle excluder devices (TEDs) in nets.
- Halting the illegal trade of turtle meat and eggs.
So, how can you help? Easy!
- Send a turtle to rehab! Help the recuperation process for thousands of sick and injured turtles. Buy this gift today and you will receive a personalised certificate that shows that they Sent a Turtle to Rehab!
- Don't buy products which have been made from sea turtle parts.
Today: Laura is counting on you
Laura Martinez needs your help with “WWF: Marine turtles need your help”. Join Laura and 826 supporters today.