What is depression, its causes and how to avoid it.
This petition had 59 supporters
Depression is a mental disorder that affects your feelings, the way you think, or even your daily activities. Depression cases around the world are rapidly increasing, even here in the Philippines. Studies say that the causes of depression are the following:
- depressed mood
- reduced interest or pleasure in activities previously enjoyed, loss of sexual desire
- unintentional weight loss (without dieting) or low appetite
- insomnia (difficulty sleeping) or hypersomnia (excessive sleeping)
- psycho motor agitation (for example, restlessness, pacing up and down), or psycho motor retardation (slowed movements and speech)
- fatigue or loss of energy
- feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- worsened ability to think, concentrate, or make decisions
- recurrent thoughts of death or suicide, or attempt at suicide
Today, most people that experiences depression are teenagers or adolescents. Maybe because they are being bullied or harassed that they can’t tell it to anyone so they'll just keep it all by themselves. There are multiple reasons why a teenager might become depressed. For example, teens can develop feelings of worthlessness and inadequacy over their grades. School performance, social status with peers, sexual orientation, or family life can each have a major effect on how a teen feels. Sometimes, teen depression may result from environmental stress. But whatever the cause, when friends or family -- or things that the teen usually enjoys -- don't help to improve his or her sadness or sense of isolation, there's a good chance that he or she has teen depression.
Depression can be treated in some ways:
- Support - ranging from discussing practical solutions and contributing stresses, to educating family members.
- Psychotherapy - also known as talking therapies, such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).
- Drug treatment - antidepressants.
It is true that family is the first person who can help people who are depressed. I want to help in lessening the numbers of those who experiences depression and prevent it to be experienced by anyone else. I hope you can help me. Thank you.
Today: Lei Gertrude is counting on you
Lei Gertrude Delos Santos needs your help with “World Health Organization: Inform people about depression, its causes and how to avoid it.”. Join Lei Gertrude and 58 supporters today.