- Rahm EmanuelMayor, City of Chicago
- Gabe KleinCommissioner, Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT)
- Patricia Van Pelt WatkinsIllinois State Senate 5th District
- Ken DunkinIllinois House of Representative 5th District
- Art TurnerIllinois House of Representative 9th District
Widen Division Street Bridges and Start Construction NOW!
Support the rebuilding and widening of the narrow Division Street North Branch Bridge (at Elston Avenue) and Division Street Canal Street Bridge (at Halsted Street)
To alleviate conjestion and bottleneck on Division Street now!
- Mayor, City of Chicago
- Commissioner, Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT)
- Illinois State Senate 5th District
Patricia Van Pelt Watkins
- Illinois House of Representative 5th District
- Illinois House of Representative 9th District
Please fund the widening of the Division Street Bridges, and have the construction start as soon as possible.
The current Division Street Bridges are narrow – 2-lanes going in either direction. These bridges have been in service for +100 years and are in need of significant repair and maintenance, and we assume are functionally obsolete.
The area supported by these Bridges include 1) Third largest Wholefoods, 2) Historically, the highest revenue stores for Best Buy and Home Depot, 3) The recent opening of an Apple Store, 4) The opening of a Target Store in Oct 2013, and 5) Additional planned Commercial and Residential development. The area also has the largest available land near the Chicago Loop.
The congestion caused by these outdated bridges has:
A) Caused significant delays for residents and workers commuting to, from, and around the area;
B) Limited commercial viability and success of existing Businesses;
C) Impeded further Commercial growth in the area;
D) Hindered Job creation by limiting Commercial success and growth;
E) Prevented growth of Local, State, and Federal tax revenues; and
F) Lack of bicycle lanes creates further congestion
Please sign this petition to support the widening of the Division Street Bridges to 2 functional lanes each way, and have the construction start now!
Near North Unity Program started this petition with a single signature, and won with 323 supporters. Start a petition to change something you care about.