- White Memorial Medical CenterCesar Armendariz, Vice President of Business Development
STOP THE DISPLACEMENT OF PROYECTO JARDIN
We the members, supporters, and allies of Proyecto Jardín ask White Memorial Medical Center to #stopthedisplacement and relocation of Proyecto Jardin.
AS SUPPORTERS & ALLIES, WE JOIN IN SOLIDARITY WITH THE LEADERSHIP AND MEMBERSHIP BASE OF PROYECTO JARDIN, THE ORGANIZATION THAT HAS SERVED THE COMMUNITY OF BOYLE HEIGHTS AS CARETAKER OF THE LAND & SACRED SITE LOCATED AT 1718 BRIDGE STREET FOR OVER 17 YEARS.
WE ASK WHITE MEMORIAL FOR 3 SIMPLE THINGS:
(1) RESCIND THE 30-DAY NOTICE TO SURRENDER THE PREMISES at 1718 BRIDGE STREET BY JANUARY 31, 2016.
(2) PLACE A 6-MONTH MORATORIUM ON ALL EVICTION ACTIONS IN ORDER TO EXPAND THE WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY FOR REASONABLE MINDS TO COME TO THE TABLE TO NEGOTIATE A WIN-WIN LEASE AGREEMENT.
(3) CREATE NEW OPPORTUNITIES TO HEAL, REBUILD, AND SOW SEEDS OF HOPE & PROMISE FOR A ROBUST AND PRODUCTIVE PARTNERSHIP BETWEEN THE COMMUNITY OF PROYECTO JARDIN & WHITE MEMORIAL.
IN ADDITION, WE ASK WHITE MEMORIAL TO ACKNOWLEDGE & RESPECT:
- THE INTEGRITY OF PROYECTO JARDIN AS A COMMUNITY OF PEOPLE who choose to work as and self-organize through Proyecto Jardin.
- THE PEOPLE OF PROYECTO JARDIN ARE DEEPLY & PERSONALLY INVESTED in the place and the organization because they identify with its mission, vision, and programs
- PROYECTO JARDIN'S MEMBERS ARE NOT IN AGREEMENT WITH White Memorial’s proposal to transition their membership] to the hospital’s "workforce development program or other program’s operated by [the hospital’s] new garden partners.”
- THE VALUE OF DIALOGUE & AN ITERATIVE PROCESS to build mutual understanding and create opportunities accommodate WMMC needs and interests without displacing families and the community-based organization they created” and currently belong to.
We speak as a united community in support of Proyecto Jardin’s continued management and stewardship of this place, this sacred space built and extensively developed by and for our community.
We know our respective organizations are both highly regarded in our community and both have what it takes to get to a middle ground, and from that place build upon our common ground for the greater good in our community.
TODOS SOMOS PROYECTO JARDIN!
Proyecto Jardin is a place, a people, a movement, and an organization rooted in community and the carrier of 17-year legacy as a force for creative place-making and neighborhood revitalization. Proyecto Jardin cultivates and promotes community health and wellness, social cohesion, cultural self-determination, and grassroots people power through urban agriculture, traditional healing arts, artistic expression, and community organizing.
THE PLACE, Proyecto Jardin, is a communal urban farm in Boyle Heights born of the sweat equity, creative place-making efforts, and a bold kind of social entrepreneurship that galvanized hundreds of community residents, allies, and supporters to lovingly reclaim and repurpose a blighted residential lot and build a healing space for all.
SOMOS--a movement on the front lines of defending and expanding the most fundamental of human rights: the right to work in concert with nature to receive sustainable sustenance from its bounty. Proyecto Jardin is a life-giving oasis in the midst of Boyle Heights, one of our hyper-urbanized planet’s food deserts. It is a safe, liberating space that radiates empowerment.
OF RIGHTS & WRONGS And now, we are facing elimination, erasure, and appropriation. White Memorial Medical Center plans to evict Proyecto Jardín in order to impose their own plans without input or participation from the community that’s made the garden into the thriving space it has become. Fortunately, Proyecto Jardín is nowhere near ready to go quietly into that goodnight.
THE PEOPLE of Proyecto Jardin are 40 Fierce Farmers who grow organic food to feed their families and neighbors. We cultivate good medicine to nourish the body, mind, heart and soul of our community with our unique individual talents and healing presence on the earth. We are culture bearers, artists, healers, house cleaners, mechanics, chefs, educators, environmentalists, professors, students, recyclers, accountants, yogis, activists, tamaleras, physicians, carpenters, Dreamers, musicians, writers, poets, drummers, actors, designers, planners, dancers, administrators, storytellers, builders, counselors, therapists, social workers, researchers, historians, and more. Todos Somos Proyecto Jardin!
THE MOVEMENT that sprouted from Proyecto Jardin’s fertile soil aims to build a sustainable community food system that is driven and controlled by the people who are most directly affected by economic, social and environmental injustice and inequalities.
THE ORGANIZATION, "Proyecto Jardin," is the non-profit organization of by the people of Proyecto Jardin community garden and urban farm. It was establish to channel resources, convene strategic partners, and collaborate with allies, supporters and stakeholders to build a sustainable infrastructure for the organization’s work.
We believe it is entirely possible to negotiate a Win-Win lease agreement that honors and respects Proyecto Jardín as a valuable partner, rather than terminate the organization’s 17-year legacy as a community-run space.
Learn more about Proyecto Jardín’s Land Tenure & Lease: www.proyectojardin.org/faqs
- Cesar Armendariz, Vice President of Business Development
White Memorial Medical Center
Stop Proyecto Jardín’s 15-year legacy from being erased by White Memorial Medical Center
Proyecto Jardín started this petition with a single signature, and now has 1,762 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.