Using WHITE, BLACK and NEGRO on US Census and EEO Forms as racial categories continues to permeate the cycle of segregation and doesn't accurately describe citizens in the United States that may be of European descent or Ethnically Mixed backgrounds. If we eliminate generic descriptions of COLOR and allow citizens the opportunity to describe their own identity based upon NATIONALITY/ORIGIN it’ll be a step in truly undoing institutional racism in America. We're also advocating for US Census to recognize Hispanics/Latinos as a RACE on the census NOT just a ethnic group.
Reasons to support petition:
1. It’s simple and clear…the word COLOR was removed from the US Census in 1980 however they are still using color to identify people
2. We want the government to be consistent…use origin for everyone (White, Black)
3. Remove NEGRO as its definition is for Black/Indian or Black/White race (descent)
4. We want the government to recognize the original peoples of US States…people of Spanish descent (Hispanic/Latinos) as a race
5. We want people to realize that the US Census is an important tool used to set the tone for the social and political structure of America
Sophia Strother, MBA started this petition with a single signature, and now has 94 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.