Allow WeHi Residents to Park Cargo Vans in Driveways (Petition for Residents Only)
This petition had 52 supporters
- The West Highlands Parking Rules & Regulations (version effective October 1, 2017; first version published June 2010) (“Policy”) prohibit “Commercial Vehicles,” as defined by the Policy, from parking in West Highlands (“WeHi”).
- “Commercial Vehicles” includes mini, transit, and full-sized cargo vans. Currently, residents are not allowed to park mini, transit, or full-sized cargo vans outside their garages in WeHi—not even in their own driveways.
- Residents should be allowed to park mini, transit, and full-sized cargo vans without commercial advertising signs in WeHi because small business owners often drive a cargo van as their personal and work vehicle. Small business owners—those who have the funds for multiple vehicles and those who don’t have the funds for multiple vehicles—call West Highlands home.
- Please sign this petition to encourage the WeHi HOA Board to modify the Policy to address this issue.
- Residents will be limited to one (1) cargo van (with dimensions not to exceed 228”L and 84”H) per home.
- Residents will be required to park cargo vans in their driveways.
Please sign this petition to allow WeHi residents to park one (1) cargo van (with dimensions not to exceed 228”L and 84”H) per home in their driveways.
(1) A petition is not required to effectuate a Policy change per the WeHi Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions because the Policy is not a Covenant. The WeHi HOA Board (“Board”) has the sole authority to unilaterally modify the Policy, an action which the Board has taken several times without prior notice to WeHi residents since the Policy’s adoption in June 2010.
The Board requested that the residents promoting this Policy change (“Promoters”) collect 50 signatures from WeHi homeowners (one owner signature per home) to show “community involvement.” When asked to change the Policy based on the Board’s edited version of this petition (see Note (2)), the Board verbally informed the Promoters that it will no longer unilaterally modify the Policy. Accordingly, the Promoters are collecting signatures for this petition even though the Board has the sole authority to modify the Policy---in other words, the Board is not required to change the Policy even if a resident gathers 50 signatures on a petition.
The Promoters hope that the Board will communicate proposed Policy changes to WeHi residents with direct and timely notices (e.g., letters, e-mails) and gather community input before making future Policy changes.
(2) As a courtesy to the Board, the Promoters voluntarily provided the first version of this petition to the Board before the first version of this petition was made public and requested comments and edits on the petition. The Board reviewed and edited the first version of this petition. Among other edits, the Board (A) provided specific cargo van height and length limitations and (B) removed the ability of townhome residents to park cargo vans on the street in front of their townhomes (even though many townhomes do not have driveways that are long enough to park a full-size sedan). The Promoters did not incorporate all of the Board’s edits to this petition. Please contact the Promoters if you would like to review the original and marked-up versions of this petition.
(3) The Promoters (A) maintain that the Board does not have the right to review or modify petitions put forward by WeHi residents; rather, WeHi residents may provide petitions to the Board for review as a courtesy to the Board; (B) do not agree with all of the modifications, claims, and representations made by the Board related to this petition; and (C) requested that the Board modify the Policy in accordance with this petition.
Today: Rosanne is counting on you
Rosanne Smythe needs your help with “West Highlands HOA Board: Allow WeHi Residents to Park Cargo Vans in Driveways”. Join Rosanne and 51 supporters today.