Improved Child Protection Laws and Sentences in The Bahamas
This petition had 717 supporters
In the first case of the production of child pornography we're seeing in The Bahamas, Acting Justice/former Deputy Chief Magistrate Andrew Forbes seems to have set a dangerous regional precedent - ruling that, "Lewis Jr will be required to attend the Department of Social Services, specifically the Domestic Violence Unit and perform 50 hours of community service". Source: Tribune News Article
We the people say that judgement is unacceptable when the maximum sentence possible under Bahamian law is life imprisonment. The appeal should be upheld and a much more appropriate sentence given as this is not simply a slap on the wrist, but an open invitation to those that seek to prey upon children.
We will not wait for another Bahamian child/minor to be abused, misused or killed before we make noise on their behalf.
While we're at it, here are a few legislative changes we seek:
- Establishment of a Minor's Advocate office
- Expansion of the parameters of a minor's advocate to include private social workers such as crisis center counsellors instead of only people with a legal background
- Separate sexual offenses court and family courts
- Revision under advisement then full implementation of Marco's Alert
- Consultation with relevant advocacy groups around the establishment and regulations surrounding a convicted sex offender registry before full implementation
Today: Terneille is counting on you
Terneille Burrows needs your help with “We're asking Attorney General Carl Bethel for Better child protection laws and sentence requests in The Bahamas”. Join Terneille and 716 supporters today.