We would like to petition Watchung Borough Council to stop the massive 230-unit Bonnie Burn Development project, and overturn the 2018 vote by the previous council that moved this project into motion.
Here are a few key facts and why we are against the overdevelopment:
(1) Watchung’s remaining low-income housing obligation before 2025 is 38 units; We do not need to build 230 units to fulfill our Affordable Housing obligations!!
(2) The developer, motivated by profit and greed, is proposing a massive 230 units complex of 7 buildings (with 419 bedrooms, 475 parking spots) at the Bonnie Burn site, which only covers 46 low-income units, close to 200 units are for-profit market rate.
(3) Watchung’s existing population is 5985, this proposed development alone will see an influx of 1000 new residents, which this town cannot accommodate or absorb.
(4) The proposed development sits on 41-acre pristine woodland on a steep slope along a steep 2-lane Bonnie Burn Road that is already congested without the influx that this development could bring. Part of the development also cuts through protected wetlands.
(5) The project has been granted a special PILOT status, i.e., TAX BREAKS, by the previous council to pay Very Limited taxes into the school district and only a FRACTION of town/county taxes.
We urge the current Watchung Borough Council to overturn the 2018 vote by the previous council that moved this monstrous development project forward!!