In Washington State, you get one postponement from jury duty, and it must be served within 6 months of your original summon date. If the local County governments are not held accountable, and are unwilling to make accomodations for breastfeeding mothers, why are we forcing them into jury duty?
After recieving a 6 month postponement, I myself was called to jury duty the week of February 19th, and on February 21st I was forced to pump expressed breast milk in a bathroom, which is illegal by federal law. My daughter is only 5 months old, and is exclusivley breast fed. The World Health Organization recommends exclusive breastfeeding until 12 months of age.
All of our bordering States have laws exempting breastfeeding mothers from Jury duty (Oregon and Idaho), as well as other progressive States such as California. Why doesn't Washington State also have such laws regarding breastfeeding mothers and jury duty?
From La Leche League International:
- Idaho, Kansas, Oregon and Nebraska provide that jury duty will be postponed until the mother is done nursing the child.
- Oklahoma law states that a mother breastfeeding a "baby" shall be excused upon request.
- Illinois and Virginia law provides that a mother nursing her "child" shall be excused up request.
- Iowa excuses breastfeeding mothers who are not employed outside the home.
- Nebraska requires a doctor's certification.
- Mississippi provides that a breastfeeding mother may be excused as a juror.
- Kentucky not only provides an exemption for breastfeeding mothers, but also those who are expressing breast milk.
- California law provides that the jury duty summons must include a reference to the court rules providing an exemption for breastfeeding mothers for up to year.
Please sign this petition and share with friends and family. Lets get legislation passed to exempt or give a longer posteponement to breastfeeding and pumping moms from Jury duty in Washington State.
- Washington State Legislature, Representatives and Governor.
- Washington State House
- Washington State Senate
- Washington Governor
There is a definite need in Washington State exempting or giving a longer postponement to breastfeeding and milk-expressing mothers from Jury duty. Especially if the State and County courts are unwilling to accommodate mothers. Sequestering breastfeeding mothers on Jury duty, and giving them two options for pumping, either the bathroom, or in front of fellow Jurors, is embarrassing, wrong and against Federal law.
Please help us pass legislation exempting or giving a longer postponement to breastfeeding and milk-expressing mothers from Jury duty in Washington State.
Laura Hathorn started this petition with a single signature, and now has 196 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.