There are TWO sections of US Highway 12 in Thurston County, WA between Old Highway 99 to the east, and Albany St SW to the west that are in desperate need of improvement.
The first is where US 12 intersects with Pecan St SW. US 12 is a two-lane highway. East-bound traffic on US 12 travels over an elevated viaduct immediately west of Pecan St, with a speed limit of 55MPH.
On October 29th, 2013, a multi vehicle collision at this intersection, which resulted in a teenage driver being airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, WA.
The second intersection is where US 12 intersects with Denmark St SW. Denmark St runs north of US 12, at a angle off of the highway. The property at the northwest corner of this intersection is elevated in relation to the roadway, obstructing view. The property at the northeast corner of this intersection is dense with trees, again obstructing the view. Also immediately west of this intersection is a narrow bridge over a small waterway. This restricts the flow of traffic.
Numerous collisions have occured at this intersection, including an incident in 2012 in which a driver was killed crossed the center line and was hit head on, simply because the oncoming driver could not avoid the collision.
WE, the residents of Rochester, WA, its surrounding communities and cities, along with visitors, family members, and others that travel this highway respectfully request and demand that the Washington State Department Of Transportation do the following:
- IMMEDIATELY reduce the speed limit of US Highway 12, from Joselyn St SW, to 1000 feet east of Pecan St SW, to 40 MPH.
- Install signage, signal lights, and/or applicable warning devices along the viaduct between Pecan St SW and Joselyn St SW.
- Begin immediate plans to improve safety along US Highway 12 between Grand Mound and Albany St SW, including but not limited to:
Widening US Highway 12 between Pecan St SW and Joselyn St SW
Installing a center turn lane for east bound traffic from US Highway 12 to Pecan St SW.
Installing a center turn lane for west bound traffic from US Highway 12 to Denmark St SW.
- Secondary to those plans, installing a center turn lane for eastbound traffic from US Highway 12 to Pecan St SW.
WE request and demand that the Washington State Department of Transportation use any and all means necessary to expedite this request. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Using any available declaration allowed, including but not limited to "Dangerous Highway" or "Dangerous Intersection"
- Expediting any and all procedural processes, including permits, design, public input periods.
- Requesting funds from state and federal resources.