Stop the use of plastic bags/packaging around the world

Stop the use of plastic bags/packaging around the world

0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
At 200 signatures, this petition is more likely to be featured in recommendations!
Alexandra Carpenter Piccio started this petition to Walmart and

        Shoppers throughout the world use approximately 500 billion single-use plastic bags a year. This translates to about 1 million bags per minute o 150 bags a year for every human on earth. Based on these statistics, if you joined them continuously, the bags would circumnavigate the planet 4,200 times and cover an area about twice the size of France. Even with the trillions of plastic packaging resources produced each year, less than 14 percent of the nearly 86 million tons of plastic packaging produced globally each year is recycled. ”How does this affect me?” you may be asking, or “why does it matter?”. Well, good thing I’m here to answer that for you. First of all, if only 14% of the 86 million tons of plastic is recycled, that leaves 86% of plastic to go elsewhere in our environment. Most of that plastic ends up in the ocean. There is estimated to be about 5.25 trillion pieces of plastic debris in the ocean that we know of. Of that number, 269,000 tons float on the surface which means that some 4 billion plastic microfibers per square kilometer litter the sea floor. Lots of the floating plastic adds to the ocean’s garbage patches that round up to be way bigger than past years. The largest garbage patch we know of is the Great Pacific Garbage Patch with about 14 billion pounds of trash added to it each year. This is where most of your plastic waste will end up.

        After the plastic goes into the ocean, it is likely to be consumed by a marine animal. According to ocean crusaders.org, 100,000 marine creatures die each year due to plastic entanglement, and these are just the ones that have been found. Approximately 1 million sea birds also die from plastic. A plastic bag can kill numerous animals because of how long they take to disintegrate, which can take from 20-1000 years. Because of all the tons of plastic in the ocean, at least two thirds of the world’s fish stocks suffer from plastic ingestion. This directly affects the food chain by transferring this plastic ingestion to bigger marine animals and then to humans.

        Although there are billions of plastic tons in the ocean, there are more places that plastic ends up on Earth. Lots of the plastic that isn’t recycled gets burned. According to plasticpollutioncoalition.org, 6 times more plastic waste is burned in the U.S rather than recycled. The European Union, which restricts landfilling of organic waste, already burns almost 42% of its waste. The affects of this can be very directly harmful to humans and wildlife. According to The Jakarta Post, When plastic is burned, it produces dioxin and furan. If dioxin is inhaled, it can instantly cause coughing, shortness of breath and dizziness. Long-term exposure to dioxin can cause cancer. Another harmful effect of burning plastic waste is pollution, as is can cause damage to the ozone layer. When the ozone layer is damaged, the sun is given a clearer passage into our atmosphere which will warm our planet to cause the icebergs to melt and the water to darken which leads to bipolar weather scenarios because of irregular temperatures. This could lead to the Earth being uninhabitable altogether.

        This demonstrates how plastic use is not only connected to the deaths of many sea creatures, but to ourselves and our entire planet as well. If you have hope for our future at all and want to help, start by signing this petition. By signing this petition, you agree that stores should stop using plastic packaging and convert to using biodegradable materials or plastic replacements such as paper, cardboard, non-plastic eco-friendly wrap, glass, or recyclable/reusable containers. Just by cutting down plastic use in grocery stores, we can make a huge change for the better. Please help me on my movement to save our only home.❤️Thank you.

0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
At 200 signatures, this petition is more likely to be featured in recommendations!