Help live music venues survive the lockdown
0 have signed. Let’s get to 7,500!
Live music venues are shutting down. Every day another venues’ doors close, as we struggle to survive the virus lockdown.
In 10 days, it is the start of the month and the bills will rack up and many will close for good. We cannot let this happen.
Melbourne thrives from our live music. It is the beating pulse that binds us together and pumps money into our local economy. We create over 42,000 jobs and contribute $1.7 billion to the Victorian economy.
When we close, it has a domino effect on: staff, musicians, bookers, organisers; suppliers and their workers; food venues and other business that surround the venue; GST and liquor tax revenue; tourism and Melbourne’s international reputation as the music capital of the world and most liveable city.
We have to make sure there’s a lifeline so venues (and Melbourne) can open again when the worst has passed, which maybe months away.
Music venues might be able to weather the storm for a few weeks but many if not most venues will close in the coming months, never to open again. All those years of experience, networks, loyal customers, reputation and culture will be gone. It will take many years for Melbourne to recover, if ever. We need to give a lifeline to keep venues afloat whilst this virus shuts us down.
We need funding now to help with upcoming expenses, as we have no revenue with the current policy of social isolation.
We ask the federal government to support government back 0% interest rate draw down loans with repayments to start when businesses open again.
We need the Victorian State Government to give us a break from all the fees, licenses and permits we aren’t using. As we are closed, we are asking for the State Government to pause liquor licensing and other fees until we reopen.
We ask the State Government and local Councils to help us find alternative uses for venue spaces during the lockdown, including :
- Offices, projects and storage for government and private business needs
- Expanding initiatives such as Creative Spaces
- Providing local funding streams to keep venues operating.
It’s time for the businesses that have benefited from the music scene to support their main source of income. Companies that have the financial and logistical resources to support venues to stay afloat during this lockdown:
- Constructively work with venues to create sustainable plans to ensure the continuation of leases
- Moratorium on apartments being built on venue sites.
- PPCA and APRA to pause fees
- Ticketing companies: Oztix and Eventbrite to provide financial and logistical support to venues
- Liquor suppliers: ALM, Paramount, CUB and Lion Nathan to defer payments, buyback stock and support our fundraiser campaign
- Insurance companies: amend current policies to reflect our current closed state and pause coverage not being used
- Utilities: a pause on debt notices and discontinuation of supply until businesses are up and running.
Together, we can save live music and music venues in Melbourne.
Today: Tiffany is counting on you
Tiffany Palermo needs your help with “Victorian State Government: Help live music and music venues survive the lockdown”. Join Tiffany and 5,616 supporters today.