Don't Kill Our Town - Victor Harborites against gutting our attractions and culture
This petition had 1,055 supporters
We the signatories, being those concerned for the interests of Victor Harbor and it's citizens, are OPPOSED to the changes to the Annual Business Plan proposed in the 2017/18 Draft Budget V0.3 as will be discussed at the upcoming meeting Monday 10/04/17.
The changes as we understand them are as follows:
- Removal of the Arts & Culture position and Artisan Markets
- Removal of the 2018 Whaletime Playtime festival
- Removal of either the Rock n Roll Festival or the Tour Down Under Event
- Closure of the Whale Centre
We are also concerned by the following changes :
- Removal/reduction of Grants & Donations including Volunteer Week, Business Grants, Arts & Culture Grants, and the Local Heritage Scheme
- Discontinuing the allowance of use of the Old School Building
- Cessation of Penguin Tours and island maintenance under the assumption of new tenants responsibility
- The reduction of the News Years Eve celebration budget to exclude stalls, amusements, entertainment, lighting and road closures.
We call on the council to suspend their vote and open the proposal for a widespread round of public consultation. Transparency, communication and consideration is called for when a proposal seems to threaten the identity of the town we call home, or home-away-from-home, and the enjoyment that we find here. Changes to our attractions also affect local businesses.
This petition will be delivered to the council meeting on Monday at 2pm, 10th of April 2017. (EDIT:: Please read the update below for more about this and a link to the notice detailing the proposals.)
Today: Megan is counting on you
Megan Storer needs your help with “Victor Harbor Council: Don't Kill Our Town - Victor Harborites against gutting our attractions and culture”. Join Megan and 1,054 supporters today.