Pass a Sexual Assault Survivors' Bill of Rights in New York
0 have signed. Let’s get to 1,000!
Many young girls and boys are assaulted before they are even in High School. Church clergy assaults and assaults outside of residences should all be treated appropriately to protect minors and non-minors.
I'm calling on New York to pass a Sexual Assault Survivors' Bill of Rights that will guarantee comprehensive, common sense civil rights for survivors:
Rise’s Five Key Civil Rights:
1. The right to not have your rape kit destroyed before either it 20 years or the statute of limitations has passed (whichever is longer).
2. The right to be notified of your civil rights related to a sexual assault.
3. The right to not be charged for your own rape kit examination.
4. The right to access your own medical record related to a rape kit examination.
5. The right to a copy of your own police report.
Over forty states have backlogs for untested kits. Some states do not cover the full medical expenses of a kit, leaving survivors to pay their own way towards justice. Most states destroy rape kits before the statute of limitations for the crime has passed. The lack of these rights has inspired us to act.
This is a crisis for 25 million survivors across America, and it's time for our legislators to do something about it.
Today: Valerie is counting on you
Valerie Francis needs your help with “Velmanette Montgomery: Pass a Sexual Assault Survivors' Bill of Rights in New York”. Join Valerie and 565 supporters today.