Have UT Austin Acknowledge its Racist History and Vow to make Reparations
0 have signed. Let’s get to 25,000!
Sign this petition to call for UT Austin administration to make a formal statement acknowledging the university’s modern ties to its discriminatory history. Additionally, sign this petition to call the UT Austin administration to make reparations for its past, and to better support students in the present. Actions that UT Austin can take to accomplish these objectives include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Rename the R.L.M building to separate UT Austin from the racist views that Robert Lee Moore held in regards to his support of scientific racism
- Rename the T.S. Painter building to separate UT Austin from the segregational views that Theophilus Shickel Painter displayed in the States Supreme Court's 1950 Sweatt v. Painter case
- Rename relevant landmarks and buildings to separate UT Austin from the segregational views of the Littlefield Family
- Rename relevant landmarks and buildings to separate UT Austin from the segregational views of James Hogg, the Texas governor who signed the first Jim Crow laws
- Acknowledge the racist roots of “The Eyes of Texas” and its origins from a reoccurring minstrel show on campus through a formal statement to the student body
- Increase department funding to ethnic studies programs to combat eurocentrism in education
- Acknowledge the racially charged history of Round Up events (ie. racially-themed parties) by actively working to prevent discriminatory events from happening, and hold greek life organizations accountable for their actions at Round Up surrounding race issues
- Hold greek life organizations more accountable for discriminatory actions that occur at rush and social events by increasing the scrutiny of greek life events by their overseeing councils
Today: Anna is counting on you
Anna Ranabijuli needs your help with “UT Austin Students: Have UT Austin Acknowledge its Racist History and Vow to make Reparations”. Join Anna and 19,126 supporters today.