Urge the Manitoba Government to END Size & Weight Discrimination NOW #SizeismSUCKS
0 have signed. Let’s get to 10,000!
My name is Lindsey Mazur, Registered Dietitian (RD), ally and advocate to end weight discrimination. As a dietitian, I have heard numerous painful stories of shaming, stigma and discrimination from clients that has impacted their mental and physical health and wellbeing. My work in health care has been dramatically impacted by witnessing the pain and lack of compassion shown to those who live in larger bodies.
October 2016- A Private Member’s Bill was introduced in the Manitoba Legislature to have "physical size and weight" included in the Human Rights Code to prevent discrimination based on body size. This bill was not accepted.
November 23, 2016-The Private Member's Bill was reintroduced as Bill 200.
November 2, 2017-Bill 200 was REJECTED with a vote in the Manitoba Legislature.
I started Manitobans Against Weight Stigma to rally the community to urge the Government of Manitoba to pass this long overdue human rights legislation to END weight discrimination NOW!
How can you help?
- Add your name to this petition and share it
- Email your area MLA to let them know your support of Bill 200 to include ‘physical size and weight’ in the Manitoba Human Rights Code
- Connect with Manitobans Against Weight Stigma on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @MBWeightStigma, using #SizeismSUCKS
- Share your story with me by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
I have received permission to share a couple of stories from local women who have experienced size, weight and appearance-based discrimination:
- Jacquie is a fitness instructor in Winnipeg who was told that no one would want to train with her because of the size of her body and a project was assigned to a thinner and younger trainer despite Jacquie’s level of fitness ability and superior professional qualifications to do the job.
- Another Winnipeg woman applied for a promotion within her organization, and was denied; she was told that the woman who was offered the job was not more qualified than her but rather, more attractive.
Did you know…
- Studies have shown that over half (54%) of People of Size report having been discriminated against in the workplace.*
- More than 2/3 (69%) People of Size report having been discriminated by doctors.*
- In a study of adolescents in schools, 92% reported that they witnessed larger bodied students being teased about their weight.*
*(Source: Yale Rudd Center, 2012)
Want to learn more? Check out these news stories:
Today: Lindsey is counting on you
Lindsey Mazur needs your help with “Urge the Manitoba Government to END Size & Weight Discrimination NOW #SizeismSUCKS”. Join Lindsey and 7,930 supporters today.