· The Global Shipping Fleet is one of the largest sources of unregulated carbon dioxide emission
· Only 6 countries produce more CO2 than the Global Fleet,
Emissions and Bunker Fuel
- Ships generate 15 to 30 percent of the world's smog-forming emissions.
- Bunker fuel burned by ships is 1,000 times dirtier than highway diesel used by trucks and buses.
- A single ship coming into harbor produces the smog-forming emissions of 350,000 new cars.
- Ship engines are far dirtier than on-road engines due to lack of regulation.
- The International Maritime Organization has lagged far behind in revising outdated regulations for ship emissions.
- Ship exhaust contains harmful air toxics that cause cancer, respiratory illness and premature death.
- Ship air pollution often disproportionately harms poor people of color who live near ports.
- More than one in 10 children has asthma in the world's biggest port cities.
- Ships burn tons of fuel per hour, generating large volumes of global warming gases and black carbon that contribute to climate change.
- Researches are finding that the black soot from ship smokestacks settle on polar ice sheets and help cause melting.
- The world's shipping fleet generates about four percent of the world's carbon dioxide emissions.
- The shipping industry burns 300 million tons of bunker fuel per year.
Austin Lynch started this petition with a single signature, and now has 517 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.