Huge sums of money are being collected from students of the Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College and the alumni are seeking transparency in spending.
Despite charging the students for various facilities, the quality and availability of the same are very poor. Further this has raised questions of corruption and financial mismanagement by the authorities.
A few examaples to illustrate this are :
-- In the last 5 years Rs. 76 lakhs accrued via Alumni funds but not given to the Alumni Association
-- In the last 5 yeras Rs. 15 lakhs collected for the Magazine fund but the magazines are not published regularly.
-- In the last 2 years Rs. 14 lakhs collected as transportation fund but only Rs. 1.36 lakhs spent
-- In the last 3 years Rs. 12 lakhs was collected as parking fee but the parking spaces are not maintained properly.There is no one deployed for security of vehicles.Prominently writen "Parking at own RisK"
-- Every year Rs. 2 lakhs is collected as drawing board maintenance charge but no drawing board maintained or purchased in GNE for decades
-- Every year Rs. 20 lakhs is collected towards computers and internet but the availability of computers and the quality of the interent is very poor.
- Every yesr Rs 600 collected in name of smart Cards but cards can not be used any where as no card readers Installed.
We want the college administration to call for a open in house debate and answer these concerns.
1. College is regularly collecting Alumni funds from students (Rs 2500 )and holds amount of Rs. 76 Lakhs, but not transferring that amount to alumni association. What are their intentions ?
2. College is regularly taking Annual Magazine GENCO fund every year but not publishing it regularly in order to save Rs. 3 Lakhs per year and at present college holds Rs. 15 Lakhs of students in Magazine Fund ! Not printing magazine, nor issuing that fund for some national level/good festival or other activity in college. Why are they making fool of Students ?
3. Total money collected under transportation charges as Rs. 150 per student in last two years is 14 Lakhs but expenditure on two buses is 1.36 Lakhs only. Where is rest of the money ?
4. College collected Rs. 12 Lakhs as Parking fee in last three years but there is no security of vehicles in parking. It openly written "parking at your risk" !!
5. College is charging Rs. 100 per student as Drawing Board maintenance charge and collecting about Rs. 2 Lakhs every year. But there is no drawing board maintained or purchased in GNE for decades. Where is all that money going ??
6. College is charging Rs. 500 per semester per student and collected Rs. 20 Lakhs every year but the speed of internet is very poor in Hostels. GNE is paying around Rs. 10 Lakhs per annum to Internet Service Provider (ISP) for Broadband but providing deplorable service to students. Is the person responsible for internet in GNE doing corruption to allow college to give so much money to ISP for POOR service ???
7. College charging Rs. 500 per semester per student and collecting Rs. 20 Lakhs per annum but there is no separate computer lab in GNE to provide facility to students in college timings because with increase of seats GNE increased income but didn't increased sources for students, neither computer labs nor hostels !! Computer lab is running as classroom during college timings !!
8.- Rs 600/- per student being collected in name of smart Cards but cards can not be used any where. many batches not even issued these cards.
9 STOP double shifts and build necessary infrastructure first like Hostel, Staff, New labs etc first.
10 Bring Transparency in Admissions and have regular and dedicated staff. Do not use teachers on short contract and maintain sanctity of Quality Education.