Support administrative approval of UWave Radio's granted FM broadcast license
This petition had 578 supporters
As a student body we are very proud of how far UWave Radio has come as an organization since its beginning in 2011 and our goal this year is to amplify our voices.
At the end of 2012, President Obama signed an order allowing the Federal Communication Commission to open low-power FM bands to nonprofit groups in urban areas. This was the 1st time in over 50 years that community radio stations in urban areas like Seattle had the opportunity to apply for FCC licensing, and will likely be the last.
The University of Washington Bothell's only on campus radio station was one of the thousands of stations that applied for this FCC license and we are proud that we are one of only 15 who were approved in the Seattle Metropolitan area, reserving a spot on the dial at 104.9 FM. This is exciting news for our entire student body! We are already broadcasting online but now we have the opportunity to amplify our voices on campus with FM broadcasting.
But the news is bittersweet because we have yet to broadcast due to the lack of institutional support at UW Bothell.
Start-up costs in relation to hardware and technology for adding an FM signal are estimated at $30,000. Fortunately, we were granted the entire sum of $30,000 for this project by the Washington State Department of Commerce for Projects that Strengthen Communities and the Quality of Life.
Yet, although we have this money the tower for broadcasting has not yet been built and the spot on 104.9 FM remains silent.
This is because the FM license rewarded to us would be held by the University of Washington Board of Regents and without their approval we cannot go on air. Our Chancellor, Chancellor Yeigh, must support UWave Radio’s expansion by requesting that the board of Regents approve the license. So far UWave Radio has done its part in securing the funds and leadership necessary for going on air - now we must push for approval.
We are asking that the Student Body support us in this endeavor by signing this petition as a small gesture of support. This petition will be sent to the Chancellors next Board of Regents meeting as a symbol of support from University of Washington Bothell students, staff, and faculty for approval.
Having our own FM Broadcasting Radio station on campus would have the following benefits:
- Allowing students the opportunity for community outreach through multimedia communication
- Contribution to the outstanding growth of the University of Washington Bothell, the fastest growing higher education institution in Washington state
- Opportunity to connect with surrounding businesses and events in the immediate Bothell community
- Real world experience with FM radio station processes specifically in business, marketing, promotions, programming, and technology
- Opportunity for clubs and other organizations related to the university to raise awareness for their events
- Allows the university and its affiliates to raise funds and donations from an expanded listener base, potentially as many as 300,000 listeners
- Opportunity for Student, Staff, Faculty, and Community Collaboration through media broadcasting
- Promote the growth of the campus as well as the strengthening of bonds between the campus and the community we are a part of
- Potential incoming student excitement to attend the University of Washington Bothell with the addition of the opportunity of being able to work at a FM broadcasting radio station
And many more...
So now here is our chance to access these increasing benefits and amplify our voices.
Today: UWave Radio is counting on you
UWave Radio needs your help with “University of Washington Board of Regents: Approve of UWave Radio to broadcast on the FM dial by signing granted FCC license”. Join UWave Radio and 577 supporters today.