Address the state of sexual and gender-based violence in St Andrews
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
We see the continued prevalence of sexual and gender-based violence in St Andrews and firmly believe that more needs to be done. We believe that a focus on preventative education of students and staff and changing the current culture surrounding sexual and gender-based violence is imperative. This must be done with a serious consideration to putting students’ safety and wellbeing first.
This is an epidemic occurring throughout UK universities.
- 3 in 5 students have been sexually assaulted or harassed while at university
- 1 in 5 students experience some sort of sexual harassment during their first week of term
- 97% of students did not report their assault to the University
The statistics become even more harrowing within the LGBT+ community.
- 47% of transgender people are sexually assaulted at some point in their lifetime
Action needs to be taken in St Andrews. This is what we ask of the University and the Students’ Union as an initial step towards creating a safer community:
1. Compulsory consent and bystander workshops for:
- First Years
- Elected representatives of the SRC and SSC
- All Sports Presidents (and encouraging workshops for specific Sports Clubs)
- All Presidents and Secretaries of affiliated societies
- All Union staff, specifically bartenders and bouncers
2. Make consent and bystander training a compulsory part of Matriculation.
3. Matriculating students must read and engage with the Sexual Misconduct Policy as part of the matriculation process.
4. For the Union to review current Union policy regarding nights out and sexual misconduct.
5. Lobby the University to address the prevalence of sexual misconduct on campus and the culture that perpetuates it.
6. For the Sabbatical team to request a meeting between the Vice-Chancellor and relevant representatives to discuss how this can be achieved.
This is a supporting document for a motion to be brought to Students’ Association Joint Councils (SRC and SSC). We would greatly appreciate your support.
Sign our petition. Stand with us against Sexual and Gender-Based Violence in St Andrews.
Please contact Alexandra Holker at firstname.lastname@example.org for any enquiries.
PHOTOGRAPHY CREDIT: Sarah Collinson
Today: Students Against is counting on you
Students Against Gender-Based Violence On Campus needs your help with “University of St Andrews: Petition to address the state of gender-based violence in St Andrews”. Join Students Against and 471 supporters today.