University of Pennsylvania: Publicly Denounce President Donald Trump's Actions
This petition had 125 supporters
We are students, alumni, and faculty of the University of Pennsylvania.
As part of our education and as an integral component of our continuing relationship with the University of Pennsylvania, we were taught to embrace humility, respect, diversity, the rule of law, and the highest levels of integrity.
President Donald J. Trump, who graduated from The Wharton School in 1968 with an undergraduate degree in Economics, by virtue of his election to the highest office in the United States of America, has been afforded an opportunity to affect transformative change in the U.S. and across the globe.
Candidate Trump frequently referenced his Wharton education as proof of his intelligence during the 2016 Presidential Campaign. For example, at an event in Phoenix on July 11, 2015, he stated: “I went to the Wharton School of Business,” (...) “I’m, like, a really smart person.”
Mr. Trump ran an unprecedented, divisive and populist campaign. He won the 2016 Presidential Election fair and square, and now holds our nation's highest office.
Unfortunately, and contrary to what we hoped would happen, his inauguration as President has not put an end to the divisive, hateful, exclusionary, xenophobic and racist rhetoric Mr. Trump used on the campaign trail.
Mr. Trump's actions since assuming office have sent shockwaves through the country and around the world:
- His unwillingness to separate himself completely from his personal business interests raises concerns about his intention and ability to act in the best interest of all Americans at all times.
- His isolationist trade policies, surprising for a man who attended Wharton, are a serious threat to U.S. and global prosperity.
- His distrust and 'war' (his words) with the Press raise serious questions about his commitment to the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.
- His divisive executive order to ban entry to the U.S. by citizens of seven majority Muslim countries, including those with valid visas and Permanent Resident Status, violates the U.S. constitution, U.S. immigration law, and everything the U.S. stands for in terms of moral leadership. It will fuel more hatred of the U.S. by its enemies, and diminishes our global standing as a nation committed to Freedom and Liberty for all.
- His reinstatement of the 'Global Gag Rule' threatens access to family planning information and resources for millions of women in countries around the world, and will ultimately lead to more unwanted pregnancies and higher numbers of abortions.
President Trump has only been in office for ten days, but already he has shown through his actions and words that he does not understand, respect or embody the core values of a Quaker. Instead of serving as a shining light for respect, inclusion, tolerance, diversity and openness, Mr. Trump's actions and words show him as an individual possessed by hate, exclusion, intolerance, racism and narrow mindedness.
We request that the University of Pennsylvania take strong, public action with regards to President Donald J. Trump, who has shown himself unfit to call himself a Quaker and embodies so much of what the University of Pennsylvania expects us not to be. His continuing references to his Wharton degree, in combination with his words and deeds, lower the value of our own degrees and affiliation with UPenn. He is a serious stain on the reputation and standing of our University. We request that the University publicly distance itself from this man before he can do more harm to our country, and make it clear to all that even under President Trump's Presidency our University more than ever stands for respect, inclusion, tolerance, diversity and openness.
Today: johannes is counting on you
johannes larcher needs your help with “University of Pennsylvania: Publicly Denounce President Donald Trump's Actions As Inconsistent With UPenn Values”. Join johannes and 124 supporters today.