Remove John Martellaro From the position of Director of Media Relations at UMKC
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
Recently when asked about the rape of a female student at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, John Martellaro, Director of Media Relations at UMKC, in response to concerns about the security at the dorms Martello said,
"This is not necessarily a security issue because the victim went out willingly with the suspect. It was after socializing that she was taken advantage of, or raped, whatever you might call it"
Current students, faculty, and alumni are appalled by his statements and request he be relieved of his position immediately.
1. Required re-training and educating of employee’s working for the University of Missouri-Kansas City System that addresses the failed implementation of rules and procedures regarding sexual assault and rape on the campus and in campus sanctioned events.
2. Expansion of Title IX training and educating to include mandatory conducting of UMKC specific anti-sexual assault PSAs during transfer and freshman orientation.
3. The creation and full funding of a student led accountability board that is tasked with keeping administration officials in check by reviewing incidents of violence on campus and at campus sanctioned events, lack of response and enforcement of policy by University officials, and also instances of violence caused by university staff. This board will have the ability to hire and fire administrators and university staff based on a set of criteria that will be established at a later date.
4. A re-evaluation of current policy, creation of new policy, and adoption of said policies that addresses the inherent racist biases of responses to patriarchal violence insofar as they hyper-sexualize, hyper-masculinize, and demonize people of color and many oppressed genders.
5. The creation of a UMKC specific study on campus rape and rape culture, with the intention of collecting evidence-based information relevant to fostering effective policies/programs to combat rape culture, sexual assault, and risk factors that nurture an unsafe environment on campus.
Today: Joshua is counting on you
Joshua Huff needs your help with “University of Missouri Kansas City: Remove John Martellaro From the position of Director of Media Relations at UMKC”. Join Joshua and 223 supporters today.