Tell Your Senator to Fix Senate Rules: END SENATE GRIDLOCK!
In the United States Senate, the Rules are being manipulated by Big Business and other Special Interests to keep good laws from being passed. Many times these are laws that are supported by more than half of the U.S. Senate. These are some facts:
> Between 1920 and 1970, filibusters averaged only one per year.
> Since 1992 there have been over 940 filibusters.
> Between 2005 and 2008, filibusters averaged over 70 per year.
> In 2007, minority filibusters blocked 62 pieces of legislation from receiving an up or down vote, including:
o Increased rest time for soldiers deployed to Iraq
o Expansion of children’s health care
o Research for treatment of Lou Gehrig’s disease.
Over the Last Two Years, Bad Senate Rules Blocked…
* The Employee Free Choice Act
* The Public Option in HealthCare
* The 9/11 First Responders Bill
* Paycheck Fairness for Women
* Collective Bargaining for all Public Safety Officers
* Over 400 other bills passed by the House
Our Senate is broken. The rules of the Senate and the filibuster have been abused to create gridlock and prevent critical legislation from even being debated on the Senate floor. We need a working Senate. Please help us reform the Senate rules so it can debate and address important issues.
As your constituent, I urge you to enact real change in the Senate:
1. Mandate a “talking filibuster” over today’s “silent/anonymous filibuster"
2. Eliminate the ability to filibuster on the “motion to proceed”
3. Require 41 Senators vote to continue debate
4. Cap debates on nominations to 2 hours and require “yes” or “no” votes
Americans want our lawmakers to work together but that means eliminating the abuse of the Senate’s Rules to prevent mindless obstruction.
CWA Local 9408 started this petition with a single signature, and now has 36 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.