Post-doctoral fellows at the University of Toronto need a fair contract
This petition had 144 supporters
Open Letter from members of CUPE 3902 Unit 5 to the University of Toronto
To our Employer,
We sign to show our support for our bargaining team and our Union as they negotiate with you for our collective agreement.
Our demands are fair and reasonable - all we are asking for is what other groups already have.
- Across-the-board raises to keep up with the rising cost of living in Toronto (like at other U15 schools such as Queen’s, Western, McMaster, U de Montreal).
- Employer-paid childcare benefits, similar to other full-time employees of the University.
- A better health benefits package. We are the only CUPE 3902 Unit that pays for a portion of their union-negotiated health care plan. We have the lowest amount of health and dental coverage at the University. We do not currently have coverage when we travel for our work.
- Professional development funds, such as CUPE 3902 Unit 3, to help us as we begin our careers as academics and researchers.
As we engage in the conciliation process, we emphasize that all we want is a contract that:
- Is consistent with other full-time staff at the university
- Reflects our skills, education and experience
- Is on par with other unionized post-doctoral fellows in Canada
Post-doctoral fellows are the backbone of research work at the University of Toronto. We support the University’s core mission by driving much of the research efforts in our workplaces, while at the same time maintaining day-to-day operations, training junior researchers, applying for grants, and other innumerable tasks. Though we do work and receive training which benefits our own careers, our contribution to the academic workforce cannot be denied.
While studying the causes of cancer, exploring the depths of the universe, and patenting new technologies, we shouldn’t also have to worry about making rent and feeding our families. We shouldn’t have to compromise personal health and well-being for the opportunity to do the research we love.
We deserve better from our Employer. We support our bargaining team. We are ready for a fair deal.
The post-doctoral fellows of CUPE 3902
Your CUPE 3902 bargaining team is currently in negotiations with the University of Toronto for a collective agreement renewal. We first met in November 2016, and only now - through the conciliation process - have we even seen their package of proposals. The lack of productive engagement from our Employer has been both frustrating and disheartening. We want to achieve a contract that reflects our levels of skill, experience and contribution to the University’s research mission. We are asking for your support as we move through the conciliation process.
You, the membership, gave us an incredibly strong strike mandate of 87.5% in March 2017. That mandate carried a lot of weight in our first few days of conciliation and showed the University that post-docs ARE engaged and DO care about their working conditions.
As we look to make further gains through the conciliation process, please sign this petition to show our Employer how many post-docs want a fair deal.
Today: CUPE is counting on you
CUPE 3902 needs your help with “Unit5Contract”. Join CUPE and 143 supporters today.