Attention UNCW Students, Faculty, Alumni and Parents!
This is a petition directed toward the effects on transfer students, but ALL UNCW students are encouraged to show their support!
Did you know that if you are currently eligible to graduate with honors (3.5 GPA or higher), then your incoming transfer GPA will be manually calculated into your final GPA? This means that transfer students do NOT start over with a new GPA and you could LOSE your Degree with Distinction!!!!
This is a rule that is not implemented at all UNC schools and can be changed, pending a vote by the Academic Standards Committee within the Faculty Senate.
THINGS TO KNOW:
- This applies only to transfer students eligible for honors. If you are not eligible for Distinction, then your incoming GPA will not be calculated.
- It is only included if your incoming GPA is lower than your UNCW GPA.
- The GPA you see on your Degree Audit will not be your final GPA!
- The GPA you see in Seaport will not be your final GPA!
QUESTIONS THIS POLICY RAISES:
- Why are transfer students not notified of these policies?
- Where is the transparency?
- Why is UNCW’s policy stricter?
- Why choose UNCW if other universities encourage the academic success of transfer students more?
- What is a Degree with Distinction if the standards are not uniform?
- Maintain the minimum 3.5 GPA requirement
- Exclude incoming GPA for transfer students with a minimum of 60 hours taken in-house.
Please sign this petition and let the Faculty Senate know that transfer students deserve to be rewarded for their academic successes at UNCW!
*Non-transfer students, faculty and parents are also encouraged to support their peers and children!
For more information, email Allison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I support a change in the policy for Degree With Distinction for transfer students. This change is necessary to encourage their success and remain competitive with other universities within the UNC system.