We need a UK-wide Climate Emergency Action Plan!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 150,000!
The UK has declared a climate emergency - now it's time to take emergency action. It's clear that unless we do, we face the gravest threats in human history: uncontrollable droughts, floods, extreme heat, species extinctions and suffering for hundreds of millions of current and future generations. We need a UK-wide Climate Emergency Action Plan, and we need it now.
All the technologies to do this are ready, waiting and getting cheaper by the day. More and more climate emergency declarations are being made. To maintain momentum these must urgently be turned into real-life actions on the ground.
A UK-wide Climate Emergency Action Plan would offer the vision, policies, resources, funding, networks, training and re-skilling required to enable this collective endeavour. It should be based around a smart, inclusive process, backed by the advice, data and technical resources needed to support local actions.
This action plan should:
- Phase out fossil fuels fast and stop all subsidies to fossil fuels; stop all fracking now; and stop burning coal.
- Support a national programme to insulate the UK's housing stock.
- Invest in renewable energy, powering up our clean energy supply.
- Transform agricultural subsidies.
- Radically increase UK tree cover and enhance soils and peatlands.
- Invest in joined-up affordable public transport, and in better walking and cycling.
- Cut flights through a frequent flyer levy – and scrap the third runway at Heathrow.
- Invest in the creation of new jobs and fund training in skills for the future.
As a trained engineer, I have now been working at the Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT) for over 30 years. Since 2007, I have been part of a team of experts, developing models based on detailed knowledge and cutting edge research which demonstrate that a Zero Carbon Britain is achievable - while also bringing benefits for society, nature and the economy. We can make a better world!
Please sign my petition calling on the government to create a UK-wide Climate Emergency Action Plan.
Today: Rachel is counting on you
Rachel Brooks needs your help with “UK Parliament: We need a UK-wide Climate Emergency Action Plan!”. Join Rachel and 129,081 supporters today.