Save the Asian Elephant from Extinction
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!
Asian Elephants are being poached and slaughtered for their ivory tusks.
According to National Geographic:
- Poor villagers and unpaid park rangers are killing elephants for cash. Poorer areas usually see more poaching because of the fast cash it produces.
- Nearly 100 elephants are slaughtered a day for their ivory. This is pertinent because it has lead to their endangerment.
- Majority of poachers are poor villagers, unpaid park rangers, and farmers after crop raiding.
- About 30,000 African elephants are slaughtered every year with more than 100,000 deaths between 2010 and 2012 alone.
According to World Wildlife Fund's global website we learn:
- In 1989, the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) banned the trade on ivory, however, that hasn't stopped poachers from taking innocent lives for their own gain.
- Elephants are now restricted to just 15% of their original range. By restricting elephants and their habitats we are only worsening their status as endangered species.
- Large development projects (such as dams, roads, and mines), agricultural plantations and expanding human settlements have fragmented elephant habitats.
- Elephants help maintain forest and grassland habitats.
- Over 100,000 Asian elephants existed at the start of the 20th century. Over the past three generations, however, that number has fallen by 50% and are continually declining
Poaching has led man to slaughter and kill for the simple product of ivory, but what is this product’s price?: the death of a living, majestic creature of our world. If we go on without working to make a change in the endangerment of these Asian elephants, we as a society are sentencing them to death. If we aren’t careful, elephants could go extinct. We must do everything in our power to avoid this so that we can maintain our wildlife and all the lands they inhabit.
We have provided a link below that offers other ways to help, and more information for your use. Thank You!
Today: Hailey is counting on you
Hailey Jammet needs your help with “U.S. House of Representatives: End Poaching of Asian Elephants for Good”. Join Hailey and 3,055 supporters today.