The public should support the TC Street Food group's recommendation because it:
1. Offers residents and visitors a high quality, fast, low-cost dining option in the heart of our city;
2. Encourages, incentivize, and attracts entrepreneurship in our downtown;
3. Augments and enhances our region’s growing food culture by encouraging the fastest growing culinary trend;
4. Enhances and increases security in nightlife areas by providing additional community policing;
5. Brings additional vibrancy and culture to our downtown;
6. Promotes healthy living by providing an additional incentive for pedestrian and bicycle traffic; and
7. Increases the availability of diverse and high quality food offerings during periods of high demand.
- Traverse City Downtown Development Authority
We recommend that the DDA allow mobile food vending on all public streets, with the following restrictions:
1. A complete restriction on mobile food vending on Front Street between Boardman Ave. and Union Street due to a lack of parking and safety concerns;
2. A complete restriction on mobile food vending within twenty feet of all intersections to ensure a clear line of sight for all traffic; and
3. A contractual exception to the above restrictions for special events.
Additionally, we recommend that the DDA enact no location-based restrictions on mobile food vending on private property. We ask that the City Commission enact reasonable health and safety regulations narrowly tailored to protect the public.
TC Street Food started this petition with a single signature, and now has 793 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.