Create Safer Pedestrian Routes to Walnut Acres Elementary and Foothill Middle School
This petition had 179 supporters
Please sign to show your support for our children and families to have Safe Routes to Schools.
The Walnut Acres Elementary School and Foothill Middle School are located within blocks of each other in the Northgate neighborhood of Walnut Creek. The PFC of Walnut Acres, the PFA of Foothill, and the principals of both schools have witnessed speeding in the neighborhood and near-collisions on specific streets around the schools. Last year a child was hit by a car on Cedro outside Foothill. Officer Cantillon, of the Walnut Creek Police Department, advised creating a petition to formally request safety measures on specific streets where speeding has been a problem for some time.
This petition is to request the implementation of pedestrian safety measures at the following intersections where speeding puts pedestrians and bicyclists are at risk:
1. Add painted crosswalks where pedestrians are currently stranded and must jaywalk:
- at Cafeto crossing Cedro
- at Mi Elana crossing Cedro
- at Ebano crossing Cedro on the eastern side and crossing Ebano on the south side
- at Casa Bueno Ct. crossing Cedro where students exit Walnut Acres gate to cross the street to cars parked on the other side
- from Walnut Acres Daycare gate crossing Wiget
2. Raise and mark the main crosswalks outside of Foothill Middle School, with flashing sign and high visibility as recommended in Walnut Creek Master Pedestrian Plan (Appendix page 142-143 #4 and Figure F-4 of Appendix F).
3. Raise and mark the crosswalk at Walnut Ave. where the trail crosses near Comache Court, with flashing sign and high visibility such as those trail crossings recently improved in Pleasant Hill (see photo).
4. Add stoplight at Blackstone and Wiget to provide a higher level of safety at this priority intersection to Walnut Acres Elementary School.
The implementation of these measures will increase the safety of the residents and school children in this neighborhood. Our hope is that the city will implement immediately those that are financially feasible, while working in partnership with us to write grants to fund the rest as needed.
Strong community support will enable us to work closely with the city to prioritize these improvements. Thank you.
We appreciate the city staff of Walnut Creek highlighting our needs in the Walnut Creek Master Pedestrian Plan (page 142 and Figure F-4 of Appendix F), and we attended the public meeting in May 2015 to add our recommendations to their thoughtful and studied pedestrian improvements. Now we request that the city move forward and take action on as many of these measures as possible, to create safety for our schoolchildren this school year.
The Pleasant Hill crosswalks are a fantastic example of visible, safe bike trail crossings. Pleasant Hill implemented them city-wide at trail crossings (see photo).
Today: Neighbors and Leaders of Walnut Acres and Foothill Schools is counting on you
Neighbors and Leaders of Walnut Acres and Foothill Schools needs your help with “Traffic Engineer, City of Walnut Creek Rafat Raie: Create Safer Pedestrian Routes to Walnut Acres Elementary and Foothill Middle School”. Join Neighbors and Leaders of Walnut Acres and Foothill Schools and 178 supporters today.