Support Full Library Services During the Albert Campbell District Library Renovation 2019
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
Petition to The Toronto Public Library
The Albert Campbell Library is an important community hub for the residents of Southwest Scarborough. As the largest District Branch in the area, it is used by families, school children, seniors, new Canadians and financially challenged residents. Our neighbourhood has a large proportion of high needs residents that rely on the services of this library.
The Albert Campbell Library is being closed for 2 years starting June 2019 to complete a major renovation. The community supports and welcomes the renovation. However, we question the 2 year timeline and are not satisfied with the limited replacement services currently proposed by the Toronto Public Library: holds pick up, book drop off, limited catalogue browsing, and library staff access. The Toronto Public Library proposal does not address many of the critical and urgent library services that our community relies on including access to computers, wifi, quiet study rooms and meeting areas. For many in the area, mobility is an issue that prevents them from travelling to the next closest equivalent library location at a distance of 40+ minutes each way by transit.
The residents of Birchmount-Clairlea and Scarborough Southwest ask that, during the closure, the Toronto Library provide a temporary library location adjacent to Albert Campbell Library that includes:
1. A satellite storefront unit or temporary library.
2. Services for holds and pickups.
3. Access to some browsing collections.
4. Access to staff for ongoing information needs.
5. Access to computers and wifi for school children, adults seeking employment, new Canadians and those who cannot afford computers.
6. Group Study Area for school children working on projects, informal community meetings and networking.
7. Reading/lounge area for people accessing magazines and newspapers particularly employment, cultural and current events material.
We ask the Toronto Library to provide facilities that meet all of the needs of the community during the 2 year closure.
Today: Danforth Gardens Neighbourhood Association is counting on you
Danforth Gardens Neighbourhood Association needs your help with “Toronto Public Library: Support Full Library Services During the Albert Campbell District Library Renovation 2019”. Join Danforth Gardens Neighbourhood Association and 104 supporters today.