Reject the proposal to double MAHPS in size and merge with Allerton Grange from Sep 2018
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
Please support our petition to reject the council's risky and rushed proposal to merge 2 schools, doubling the intake of Moor Allerton Hall Primary School and threatening to destroy the nurturing, community feel that the school has worked hard to achieve.
There is a need for around 60 additional primary school places each year in Roundhay. Leeds City Council is proposing to meet this demand by merging Moor Allerton Hall Primary School and Allerton Grange Secondary School. The council proposes to do the following, in time for September 2018:
- Double the size of the school intake from 2 form entry to 4 form entry.
- Split the site, leaving Foundation and Key Stage 1 children (up to age 7) at the current MAHPS site, with Key Stage 2 children moving into the existing Community Learning Centre site next to Allerton Grange High School.
- Close Moor Allerton Hall PS and re-open it as the primary phase of a new Allerton Grange Through School.
As parents, we are concerned about the following:
- Key stage 2 children will have to use the AGS facilities as the CLC building is too small to have on-site facilities. We can't be confident of the physical and emotional well-being of our children when they have to regularly use a site shared with teenaged students. As yet there is no plan as to how the 2 primary sites will be safely connected and no obvious way to do this.
- Traffic levels are already a problem, and more cars will cause a dangerous, noisy, and polluted environment for families and local residents
- The change will be hugely disruptive and will impact on the school's journey of improvement. Rushing through this change will have a negative impact on the education being provided to the children currently at the school.
- The timescale for the change is unrealistic and irresponsible, and as yet there are no clear plans for the design, build or link of the three campuses.
- The council is not pursuing alternative solutions to the issue of school places in the area, despite significant pressure from families of the children living in the area of need who will be directly affected. Those families feel that this is a 'flawed solution' and are campaigning for land to be released for the existing approved Free School bid to go ahead.
As well as signing this petition, please have your say by completing the online survey here:
Today: Save Moor Allerton Primary School is counting on you
Save Moor Allerton Primary School needs your help with “Tom Riordan and Judith Blake: Reject the proposal to double MAHPS in size and merge with Allerton Grange from Sep 2018”. Join Save Moor Allerton Primary School and 460 supporters today.