NOW is the time for a Butterfly emoji!
This petition had 70 supporters
Commit to protect Monarch butterflies and other pollinators by supporting a butterfly emoji!
- Did you know that the Monarch butterflies that fly from Canada to Mexico each Fall are the great-grandchildren of the Monarchs that flew North the previous Spring? The fourth generation of Monarchs hibernate in the same forests in Michoacan every year, even though they were born hundreds, or thousands, of miles away.
- Unfortunately, human activity has led to the destruction of Monarch butterfly habitat across three countries, which has placed them in danger of extinction.
An emoji obviously won't help a single butterfly, but it will help us get people talking about how we can do a better job of protecting Monarch butterflies from extinction. This butterfly emoji campaign will be a spark to change our communities and ourselves.
- On May 9-13, 2016, Unicode Consortium, a non-profit that regulates the coding standards for emojis, will consider 79 new emoji candidates. (You can see them all here. http://unicode.org/emoji/charts/emoji-candidates.html)
- If you'd like to see a butterfly emoji this year, NOW is the time to take action, or we won't have a butterfly emoji until 2017 or later!
- Demand for a TACO emoji reached over 30,000 signatures on change.org — And now we have a Taco emoji! Tacos are tasty and fun — but butterflies reflect something even more important.
Butterflies remind us of the beauty, fragility, and strength of life on our planet. In a way, we are all butterflies. Like them, we also must change and grow. Like the Monarchs, when we flock together, we too are capable of great things.
With your support, and the support of your friends, we can make the butterfly emoji happen in 2016. Together, we can save the ancient Monarch migration and leave this world a better place than we found it.
Today: David J. is counting on you
David J. Romero needs your help with “Todos Somos Mariposas A.C.: NOW is the time for a Butterfly emoji!”. Join David J. and 69 supporters today.