Petition Closed

Allow permanent foreign residents to vote in their local council elections

This petition had 100 supporters

The petition on has been deleted due to the upcoming general election.  I will submit another petition as soon as we get another parliament elected.

I'm an American citizen married to a British man.  We have a child together, we have bought a house together, and we pay our taxes together.  Yet despite all this, because I'm not a British, EU, or Commonwealth nation citizen I have absolute no say in my local elections.  I can only follow the rules and the laws of where I live without any influence on the matter.  I'm in a small minority of British residents who can not register for the electoral roll, and yet it's mandatory for all other permanent residents in the UK.  I'm living here, I'm making a life here with my family, and my home is here.  Let me and others like me in a similar situation be able to have a limited influence on on public life at a local level.  Disproportionately foreign born spouses are women.  This prevents many women in having an important voice in their lives.

I'm also assuming EU citizens will be in this same situation once the UK fully leaves the EU.  It would also allow the EU residents who have these priviledges to keep them.  

Currently the following countries allow their permanent foreign residents to vote:  Canada, USA, Hungary, Spain, Luxembourg, Lithuania, Slovenia, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Finland and the Netherlands.

 A quote from Emmaline Parkhurst

"We are here, not because we are law-breakers; we are here in our efforts to become law-makers."

Today: stella is counting on you

stella silverstein needs your help with “Theresa griffin: Allow permanent residents to vote in their local council elections”. Join stella and 99 supporters today.