YUKON QUEST CANCELLED! - FACEBOOK BANS YUKON POET LAUREATE!
Oct 14, 2020 —
It gives me great pleasure to Congratulate to each and every one of our 141,000 petition signers and anyone who has fought this battle to help protect the Northern sled dogs! Because of YOU for the first time since 1984 there will be NO SLED DOG RACE IN THE YUKON!
The 2021 Yukon Quest 1,000-mile sled dog race has been CANCELED citing the Covid-19 epidemic – but the real reason is more likely the result of your unwavering support in promoting this petition and helping to create a worldwide awareness of the suffering, exploitation, and countless deaths of northern sled dogs in this event.
THANKS TO YOU:
• The Yukon Quest is on its knees and struggling as board members resign, sponsors drop out, prize purses shrink, the number of participating teams continues to dwindle, and the organization is up to its ears in debt.
• Countless sled dogs who suffer and die each year in this event will be spared.
• The eyes, ears, and hearts of the world have been opened and future generations will condemn this event.
Unfortunately the Americans are still hell-bent on holding the race over in Alaska, calling it the Alaska Summit Quest and subjecting the animals to race over some of the most treacherous terrain on the face of the earth forcing them to climb over staggering mountain ranges pulling heavy sleds in extreme sub-zero temperatures and tackling both Rosebud Summit – a 3,640-foot peak and Eagle Summit – a 3,652 foot-tall gap through the White Mountains of central Alaska.
Long distance sled dog races are inhumane events that need to be completely banned worldwide. Too many dogs have suffered. Too many have died. ~~> Why you should never support sled dog races
REGARDING MY LIFE AS A NORTHERN ANIMAL RIGHTS ADVOCATE: Well, perhaps you can’t expect to be a controversial animal rights advocate without a little blow-back!
• My initial sled dog petition signed by 2,000 people in good faith has been hacked.
• The Yukon commissioner attempted to pressure me to relinquish my title as Canada’s first and longest-serving poet laureate.
• My book titled “it’s howlin’ time!” dedicated to the plight of the northern sled dogs, has been blackballed in the Yukon because I am a recognized animal rights advocate. ~~> https://amzn.to/3lMZtjo
• …..and NOW! - FACEBOOK has imposed a BAN blocking all access to my official website from Facebook - likely due to false claims being made against me by Yukon Quest supporters. Basically blatant & unsubstantiated censorship!
In closing I call upon my fellow artists & animal rights advocates to support me in demanding the removal of this unjustified ban on my official website by signing & sharing this petition: ~~> Tell Facebook to Lift the BAN! <~~
If just one person speaks the truth it can never be unheard. If many speak it cannot be ignored. I will always be a voice for the sled dogs. My words will live beyond me
Say a prayer for the sled dogs. They are God’s dogs - they deserve so much better!
When you speak for those who have no voice your soul smiles.
Thank you for your support!
pj johnson Poet Laureate of the Yukon™ Animal Rights Advocate
Because I am a Sled Dog: "because i am a sled dog"
Special thanks to Darcie Friesen Hossack Managing Editor of WordCity Monthly
Keep fighting for people power!
Politicians and rich CEOs shouldn't make all the decisions. Today we ask you to help keep Change.org free and independent. Our job as a public benefit company is to help petitions like this one fight back and get heard. If everyone who saw this chipped in monthly we'd secure Change.org's future today. Help us hold the powerful to account. Can you spare a minute to become a member today?I'll power Change with $5 monthly