Yukon Government Ignores As Thousands Protest Funding Of Death Race!
May 22, 2018 — On May 3rd 2018 I sent a letter to the Yukon premier informing him of the growing opposition to Yukon Government’s funding of the Yukon Quest and requesting a meeting to discuss the government’s position on it stating in part: “.... the Yukon Government is in a position to set an example and send a message to the rest of Canada and to the world that the abuse and exploitation of defenseless animals for entertainment and in competitive sports will no longer be tolerated.” The email was re-sent on May 16th and to date there has been no response. Clearly the Yukon Government is choosing to ignore us and hoping we’ll all just go away.
The Yukon Quest is a hot potato – the politicians don’t want to touch it and the media brainwashes the public into believing it’s all just good clean fun when in fact it is a blatant form of animal abuse.
It's time to STOP the horrific abuse and exploitation of northern sled dogs and put an end to this barbaric event. Let’s make some noise! Here’s what you can do:
• Post this petition on Facebook & Tweet it to your followers.
• Make a donation to help promote this petition.
• Help raise awareness by sharing this article: https://www.yukonpoetlaureate.com/long-distance-sled-dog-racing/
• Contact sponsors of the Yukon Quest directly and on social media and ask them to stop sponsoring animal abuse. http://www.yukonquest.com/support-yq/sponsorship/current-yukon-quest-sponsors
• Question the Yukon Government’s continued use of tax payer’s dollars to fund animal abuse in the deadly Yukon Quest. Demand a response and let them know we’re not going away! *Please be polite and respectful.
• Contact the Yukon Government and the premier on Twitter: @yukongov and @Premier_Silver – and on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/yukongov/ and https://www.facebook.com/SidSilver.
• Contact the Office of the Yukon premier and the Yukon Government directly: Email: Sandy.Silver@gov.yk.ca Phone: 867-393-7142. Mail: Yukon Legislative Assembly Box 2703 Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6 Website: http://www.gov.yk.ca/
• Copy the note below and email it to your friends:
Hello, I just signed the petition to help stop the suffering and deaths of Northern sled dogs. I think this is important. Will you sign it too? Here’s the link: https://www.change.org/p/the-yukon-government-premier-sled-dogs-are-being-run-to-death-and-maimed-for-life-in-deadly-1-000-mile-yukon-quest-race
In 2017 a sled dog named Firefly died during the grueling Yukon Quest. This year Boppy the Sled Dog died in agony out there on the trail in -55 below trying to please his master. How many more sled dogs have to die before the Yukon Government stops funding animal abuse? My hope and my dream is that Boppy the Sled Dog will be the last sled dog to ever have to die in the cruel Yukon Quest. Who's with me? Share my dream!
This petition - originally posted on Avaaz and since moved to Change.org - has presently been signed by a combined total of over 13,000 supporters from 120 countries around the world. Let’s shoot that number up to 15,000 and let the world know we will NOT be ignored!
Still on the trail
Until the last sled dog crosses the last finish line
pj johnson Poet Laureate of the Yukon
Keep fighting for people power!
Politicians and rich CEOs shouldn't make all the decisions. Today we ask you to help keep Change.org free and independent. Our job as a public benefit company is to help petitions like this one fight back and get heard. If everyone who saw this chipped in monthly we'd secure Change.org's future today. Help us hold the powerful to account. Can you spare a minute to become a member today?I'll power Change with $5 monthly