WITF, the Waiheke Local Board, and Auckland Transport to overturn the "Matiatia Trial".
This petition made change with 1,043 supporters!
The "Matiatia Trial" (to run over summer to April 2020) was signed off by Waiheke Local Board last week. Waiheke residents call for all cited in this petition to OVERTURN this incredibly unfair and unpopular decision, in which the local residents of Waiheke Island were not consulted.
The Matiatia trial prioritises tourists and Fullers Ferries over locals under several circumstances :
* It will see the removal of the pick up and drop off zones immediately outside the ferry terminal (to be replaced instead with taxi stands) (except one spot for disability drop off). To make it easier for visitors to the island, but again de-prioritise locals.
That is, RESIDENTS will be the ones walking in the pouring rain, carrying heavy items, or the elderly RESIDENTS who struggle to get onto the ferry as it is, being made to walk further on our pothole-filled walkway to the carpark, to the RESIDENT children getting off their ferry to meet their RESIDENT parent, the solution you have provided us is not only dangerous but unfair to locals. Not to mention the VISITORS that WE, the locals, have coming to see us (who might not be able to afford a taxi!)
This is dangerous for residents, as an already congested an over-full carpark will now be partially used for pick-ups and drop-offs, whereas the currently designated area will be given to taxis. Children and elderly made to walk further to pick-ups and drop-offs (especially in inclement weather) in an already congested carpark is a recipe for disaster, someone will be potentially be hurt and/or killed from this decision.
This "Matiatia Trial" includes the following:
* It will see the removal of the pick up and drop off zones immediately outside the ferry terminal (to be replaced instead with taxi stands) (except one spot for disability drop off)
* The keyhole will be only for buses.
* Dropping off and picking up passengers not catching a bus or taxi will be relocated to the second row of car parks in the sealed carpark (the carparks will be removed and new lines drawn to show where one can drop off or pick up passengers)
* Bus layover spaces will be allocated to existing unsealed carpark near the harbourmasters/car rental.
We call on the board, Phil Goff, Auckland Transport, The Waiheke Local Board, and others responsible to immediately overturn this trial which prioritises the health and safety of visitors to our island, over the residents who live and work on Waiheke Island.
Today: Waiheke is counting on you
Waiheke People needs your help with “The Waiheke Local Board: WITF, the Waiheke Local Board, and Auckland Transport to overturn the "Matiatia Trial".”. Join Waiheke and 1,042 supporters today.