Make UTA a Sanctuary Campus
Make UTA a Sanctuary Campus
Why this petition matters
We, the students of The University Of Texas at Arlington, wish to express our commitment to an environment that is supportive, welcoming, and respectful for students of different religious backgrounds, sexual orientations, gender identifications, and immigration statuses.
In particular, this letter outlines specific actions our university can take publicly to express its commitment to the security and safety of all students and especially of those benefitting from DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals). President Trump has vowed to repeal many of President Obama’s executive orders. These include DACA, which is of great importance to undocumented students across the country. Here at UTA, without the provisions afforded by DACA, undocumented students who have excelled in and outside of the classroom will be denied the opportunity to continue their studies and complete their degrees.
We call on you to declare The University of Texas at Arlington to be a sanctuary campus. On a sanctuary campus, the administration, faculty, and staff establish services and a climate of welcome for students of color, Muslims, Jews, LGBTQ students, and women. Campus police and managers of data also should refuse to cooperate with federal agents wishing to deport undocumented students.
We wish to express public support for DACA (undocumented) students and their families, and we request that the administration of the University take the following actions:
1. Ensure that the identities of undocumented members of our community continue to be protected.
2. Assign an administrative office the responsibility for counseling DACA students on their educational situations. Advertise that DACA student counseling services are available on a strictly confidential basis.
3. Make The University of Texas at Arlington a sanctuary campus that protects the undocumented from deportation or detention.
4. Continue to allow qualifying undocumented students to pay in-state resident tuition.
5. Invest in faculty and staff training to support undocumented students.
6. Refuse all voluntary information sharing with ICE (U.S. Department of Homeland Security Immigration and Customs Enforcement) and CBP (U.S. Customs and Border Protection) across all aspects of the University to the fullest extent possible under the law.
7. Refuse ICE physical access to all land owned or controlled by the University.
8. Prohibit campus security from inquiring about or recording as to an individual’s immigration status or enforcing immigration laws or participating with ICE and CBP in actions.
9. UTA will not use e-verify in processes related to admissions or financial aid for students.
10. Prohibit housing discrimination based on immigration status.
11. Take these measures during the current semester (in other words, immediately) so that DACA students can be assured of institutional support.
We ask you to consider these measures in the spirit of defending our students and affirming our commitment to shared values of inclusion and justice.
- Vistasp KarbhariPresident of UTA