Reduce UMD Student Fees and Tuition for the Remainder of the COVID-19 Pandemic!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!
It is unacceptable for students to pay for resources they do not have access to. Currently, University of Maryland students are being overcharged for their online educational experience and for services they are less able to utilize. We require a continued review and reduction, for all students, of tuition and fees for the remainder of the COVID-19 global pandemic. As we do not know when this pandemic will end, we need a comprehensive plan that adjusts prices justly.
Students should not pay for resources that they do not have access to. It is never the burden nor responsibility of students to supplement the financial insecurities of their higher education institutions, particularly during a global pandemic. Higher Education is already unaffordable for most students with student loan debt totaling over 1.7 trillion nationally.
Currently, University of Maryland students are being charged fees for services they are not able to utilize due to the ongoing COVID-19 public health crisis. Students will not be able to receive the same academic and educational experience as before the pandemic started, yet it is proposed that we are to pay the same costs.
As the school found it necessary to refund students the cost of unused resources during the Spring of 2020 and the initial outbreak of the pandemic, the school should remain committed to its scholars by not requiring the cost of unused resources - particularly as the pandemic has increasingly placed pressure, financial and otherwise, on students.
Tuition rates should also be considered for reduction. UMBC reduced tuition by 22% as well as other noted tuition reductions from DMV area schools and around the nation. We are not receiving the same experience as in-person learning and the price should reflect that accordingly.
The University should lean on donors, the federal government, savings, and other revenue streams during this time to supplement the needs of the institution. Students are not who institutions should turn to for extracting funds, especially if not providing services that match the request. We require a review and lowered adjustment of fees for the remainder of the COVID-19 global pandemic.
Sign the petition today and contact UMD Leadership for further action:
Fees to be reviewed and refunded to students (Based on Spring 2020 COVID-19 fee refunds):
- Shuttle Bus
- Recreation Services
- Stamp Student Union
- Performing Arts and Cultural Centers
- Student Facilities
What we know:
- COVID-19 has caused an overall unemployment rate of 11.1%
- COVID has negative implications for mental health which students already deal with at high rates
- Students must now bear paying additional fees and tuition for resources that we will not have access to. Despite knowing the effects of COVID-19 our current leadership has not deemed it fit for us to receive a refund for the services not available to us
- Students are experiencing unprecedented changes to the educational experience, including in some cases exclusively online instruction
- International students have deportation concerns
- Across Universities, students face the same struggles as the average person and more during this time
- Some students must choose between homelessness and education
- Civil unrest in the nation is still occurring
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 5,000!