Ban BAE from univeristy career fairs AND divest from all investment in BAE
This petition had 211 supporters
A Freedom of Information Request found that Leeds University received £97,242 from BAE Systems. This company is also represented at many University career fairs.
BAE Systems has been charged with criminal offences and is complicit in war crimes by selling arms indiscriminately:
- It sells arms to countries the UK Foreign Office’s Human Rights Report classes as ‘major countries of concern’.
- It supplied Israel with ‘Head-Up Displays’ for F16 fighter aircraft, which have been used in illegal attacks by the Israeli army to turn Lebanese and Palestinian villages into rubble.
- It has sold arms to Saudi Arabia used in the suppression of pro-democracy protests.
- It has been fined $400 million in criminal corruption charges for arms deals with Saudi Arabia, the Czech Republic and Hungary.
- It has been fined £30 million for cases dealing with its corrupt Tanzanian radar system contract.
University involvement with BAE Systems makes the University complicit in the commission of crimes and human rights violations which are recognized under International Law.
Because the University is bound by principles of International Law and ethical consciousness, we, the students and staff of Leeds University, would like to call on the University to:
- Immediately divest from and refuse to reinvest in BAE Systems
- Stop inviting BAE Systems to Leeds University career fairs
Our univeristy, our choice!
Thankyou for signing, every signature helps!
LEEDS STUDENTS- please leave a comment with your student number when you sign the petition, thanks.
Today: Bryher is counting on you
Bryher Bloor needs your help with “The University of Leeds: Ban BAE from univeristy career fairs AND divest from all investment in BAE”. Join Bryher and 210 supporters today.