Accountability of our Dear MPs and MLAs
This petition had 6 supporters
With the current slogans and promises being made by all the candidates in the current round of elections in various states and listening to citizens of our country from these states – reiterating almost unanimously the issue of our dear politicians vanishing in between 5/5 year plans – there is a core issue of accountability of our MPs/MLAs to the promises made by them during their campaigns. In addition, based on the MPLAD scheme (based on which they are assigned development fund for their constituencies), they need to be made accountable for the development of their constituencies.
To drive the accountability, would like to make following suggestion:
1. When the MPs/MLAs are elected and they come to join the Parliament or the Vidhan Sabha, they should come with a charter. This charter should include the poll promises they have made for their constituencies. This charter should form the basis of their KRAs (Key Result Area).
2. Each elected rep should present their charter in the Parliament/ Vidhan Sabha at the time of joining.
3. Lok Sabha Secretariat should make KRAs for each MP – including the responsibilities based on the MPLAD scheme and any other duties that are identified by your office (duties of MPs/MLAs)
4. All MPs/MLAs should submit a status report, including plan to meet the promises by the end of the term to Lok Sabha Secretariat by the end of the first session.
5. This plan should be made public – should be hosted on Lok Sabha website for each individual MP/MLA.
6. This should also include things like participation in atleast one of the committees of the Parliament during the term.
7. In subsequent sessions, they should come with the status of the actions and catch up plans for the delays if any.
8. This should be part of standing agenda in Parliament session – where they should be required to present the status atleast 2 times in the whole term! Your office should publish the calendar for the same.
9. In the last session, Lok Sabha Secretariat our office could have a recognition scheme (with some awards) for the MPs/MLAs who would have achieved their KRAs. Your office could give them a score (rating).
10. This rating could form a reference for the next elections – this will help the citizens to make a better choice.
Today: sunil is counting on you
sunil gupta needs your help with “The Speaker Lok Sabha: Accountability of our Dear MPs and MLAs”. Join sunil and 5 supporters today.