Revoke the decision of National Scout Council of Maldives to suspend scout leader Saeed
This petition had 228 supporters
On 19th October 2017, The Scout Association of Maldives (SAM) suspended the Assistant Group Scout Leader of Dharumavantha Scout Group (21st MSG) on grounds that his involvement in assessing badge works of a President’s Scout candidate amounted to negligence and impinged on her rights.
We, the undersigned, categorically protest this decision for the following reasons;
- The decision of the Scout Association of Maldives is arbitrary and unwarranted for its apparent lack of procedural justice and due process underlined in the Constitution. The decision was made without a hearing for the Scout Leader to make a case in his defence.
- The decision was taken by the National Scout Council after assuming a role that is, under constitution, unambiguously given to the Disciplinary Committee. As of today, SAM does not have a sitting Disciplinary Committee or its POR as stipulated in the Constitution.
- The Decision sets a dangerous precedent which results in scout leaders being severely sanctioned for the way youth program is delivered, without proper due process.
We, the undersigned, believe there needs to be immediate institutional changes to protect the rights of scouts and adults equally and in order to do so, we demand;
- The decision of the National Scout Council be immediately revoked;
- The National Scout Council urgently calls for a forum where scouts leaders can in person discuss the issue and our concerns.
Today: Mujahid is counting on you
Mujahid Abdulla needs your help with “The Scout Association of Maldives: Revoke the decision of National Scout Council of Maldives to suspend scout leader Saeed”. Join Mujahid and 227 supporters today.