- The Right Honourable Stephen HarperPrime Minister of Canada
- The Honourable Jason KenneyMinister of Employment and Social Development
- The Honourable K. Kellie LeitchMinister of Labour
- The Honourable Chris AlexanderCitizenship and Immigration Minister
- The Honourable Joe OliverMinister of Finance
- Stephen HarperLeader, Conservative Party of Canada / Chef, Parti Conservateur du Canada
We collectively ask that you drop the $1,000 permit fee and 15 day wait period required by actors and directors to come and work in Canada.
In an attempt to curtail the problem of temporary foreign workers in Canada you run the risk of effectively devastating the Canadian Film Industry by lumping us into the same catergory as companies who abused the program by employing foreign workers to replace Canadians. This despite the fact that the Canadian Film Industry in 2011, generatd $9.7 billion in direct GDP for example, we workers earned $6.4 billion in income and our industry produced almost $5.5 billion in tax revenue in that year alone.
You did have the foresight to exclude musicians and singers yet overlooked an industry which generates billions of dollars a year in this country, boosts the economy, employs thousands of workers and sustains hundreds of off-shoot industries such as car rental companies, caterers, antique shops and many, many others.
Productions can not run their business of course, without being assured that the actors, directors and sometimes other speciliazed crew they need will be allowed to come here to work and most often they are needed at the last moment.
The effects of your 15 day waiting period are already affecting our industry and the $1,000 fee is simply unfair to the people we cannot do without. You can't ask someone to pay to work here when we need them so badly for our economic survival can you?
We ask that you correct this oversight immediately. Add the Film Industry to the list of professionals who are exempt from the new rules which were set out to curb foreign workers from taking jobs from Canadians because as of now your new rules are taking thousands of jobs from us.
- Prime Minister of Canada
The Right Honourable Stephen Harper
- Member of Parliament Calgary Southwest
- Minister of Employment and Social Development
The Honourable Jason Kenney
- Minister of Labour
The Honourable K. Kellie Leitch
- Citizenship and Immigration Minister
The Honourable Chris Alexander
- Minister of Finance
The Honourable Joe Oliver
- Leader, Conservative Party of Canada / Chef, Parti Conservateur du Canada
Please drop the $1,000 permit fee and 15 day wait period now required by foreign actors and directors to work in Canada.
Regina Popp started this petition with a single signature, and now has 3,089 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.