Stand Up to Bullying and take the BULLY by the horns
This petition had 275 supporters
We need to get the word out to children and adults, alike, that bullying is not only wrong, but that there are consequences for bullying. How many more deaths will we allow to happen before this message is embedded in our future? We need more focus, more drive, more passion, more awareness, and penalties. We need people to be held accountable for their actions. We need Government and people on high to take more action.
The cost to those being targeted and bullied is far too high. Families are suffering and we are losing lives. This is the cost to our youth and adults, whether it be face to face bullying or Cyber Bullying.
- Lack of self-esteem –The Bullied lose their confidence and see themselves as inferior.
- Hiding who you are – something no one should ever have to do. We all have the right to be the person we want to be. (unless you’re a serial killer of course. Then all bets are off.)
- Depression – how can you be happy when you’re being insulted, spat on, jeered at, and told how useless, fat, ugly, gay or perverted you are?
- Eating disorders – trying to control what you can control gives you a sense of false security. Oh no. The person being bullied is not in control at all.
- Self-harming – finding release in the pain of self-harm and thinking you are taking back control of your life. Oh no again. THEY, the bullies, are controlling your life if you do this. Make no mistake about that.
- DEATH. Let’s not beat about the bush. The number of people who commit suicide because they can no longer cope with being bullied or targeted for being different is this - ‘According to the Suicide Awareness Voices for Education suicides among 15-24 years olds is the third leading cause of death for youth. One of 65,000 children ages 10 to 14 commit suicide every year. Over 16% of students seriously consider suicide, 13% create a plan, and 8 percent have made a serious attempt.’
Horrifying but true. Suicide often becomes the only option left to a victim. The last remaining control that person has over their life is their choice to take it away.
Hate crime laws aren't enough. We need mandatory policies prohibiting bullying in schools and mandatory criminal punishments for all who bully. We need a Victim's Bill of Rights and laws that provide for recompense to victims.
We want everyone to pay it forward and so we can give the new generation the compassion to make a difference and do the same for their children. Together, we can pave the way for future generations to live free of fear and without bullying.
Please sign this petition and join the millions of voices who care about this social issue.
Further advice is available on the links below.
Today: Divine is counting on you
Divine Magazine needs your help with “The Prime Minister: Stand Up to Bullying and take the BULLY by the horns”. Join Divine and 274 supporters today.