Hold a review and referendum on the procedure for admittance to 'Oxford Union' events
This petition had 170 supporters
This petition is to call on the President and President-Elect of the Oxford Union to review the way in which admittance to the Union for popular events is provided. After this review, we call on the Oxford Union to hold a referendum on the possibilities for change that the Union President and President-Elect present.
This petition has been created as current members are forced to queue outside of the venue for many hours. For some the prospect of queuing is far from ideal, while for others it is impossible. The signatories of this petition believe the current system is ineffectual.
Frequently voiced concerns include:
1. Students of subjects with intense contact time are unable to commit themselves to queuing for multiple hours.
2. Even the students who can commit many hours to queue do not wish to do so. Such students see queuing as an additional strain on what is often an intensive Oxford life without unneeded stresses.
3. The queue is often not respected. Many jump the queue in order to get into the venue, leaving those who have queued for hours unable to get in.
4. Several queue for hours without getting in, even though a simple message could have prevented them from wasting time.
5. The value of Union membership is negatively impacted because of the current queuing system.
This petition suggests the following possible solutions:
1. A ballot system for all seats in the chamber.
2. A ballot system for half of the seats in the chamber, with the other half subject to a queue.
3. Extra provisions to ensure that queue jumping does not occurs.
4. Better correspondence on social media regarding the length of queues, and the likelihood of getting into the venue.
Signatories would like other possible solutions to be explored.
Today: Benjamin is counting on you
Benjamin Peacock needs your help with “The President (Charles Vaughan) and the President-Elect (Stuart Webber) of the Oxford Union, The Oxford Union: Hold a review and referendum on the procedure for admittance to 'Oxford Union' events”. Join Benjamin and 169 supporters today.