In an effort to reduce the amount of injuries/death associated with the misuse and ease of access of firearms in Pennsylvania (without supporting an Assault Weapon Ban), I would like the State of Pennsylvania to enact a two part law:
1) Require professional training and certification for persons purchasing their first firearm. (The course would model the NRA First Steps Class currently available across the state and nation). This would be a one-time class teaching the skills and knowledge needed for first time firearm owners. A Firearm Purchase ID card would be issued. Current Firearm Owners would be issued an ID card without talking the class.
2) Require all persons applying for a License to carry a Firearm within the Commonwealth to undergo professional training and certification including a live fire qualification to show proficiency. The new law would model the current Arizona Law:
Has demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States.
N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:
1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.
2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.
3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.
4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.
5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.
6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has training or testing requirement for initial issuance.
7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.
8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.
- Pennsylvania Governor
Require Trainning for First Time Firearm Purchases and CCW permits
Cody Field started this petition with a single signature, and now has 18 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.