Call for NICE to WITHDRAW its CURRENT ME/CFS GUIDELINE – CG53

Call for NICE to WITHDRAW its CURRENT ME/CFS GUIDELINE – CG53

0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!
At 2,500 signatures, this petition is more likely to get picked up by local news!

Sarah Myhill started this petition to The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE)

Call for NICE to WITHDRAW its CURRENT ME/CFS GUIDELINE – CG53 - https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg53 

In its recent review of the above guideline, NICE collated evidence from many sources – see https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/gid-ng10091/documents/evidence-review-7  

In a total of nineteen tables, NICE looked at 172 CBT outcomes derived from the various studies and graded the evidence for 153 (89%) as “VERY LOW” quality and for the remaining 19 (11%) as “LOW” on quality. Not a single study was found to have yielded evidence that  was any better than “LOW’’ quality. 

With respect to graded exercise therapy (GET), of a total of 64 outcomes in studies of GET, NICE graded 52 (81%) as “VERY LOW” quality and 12 (19%) as “LOW” quality. Again, not a single study produced evidence any better than “LOW” quality. 

Credit - https://www.thefacultylounge.org/2020/12/how-britains-new-nice-guidelines-repudiate-the-cbtget-school-of-mecfs-treatment.html 

In her complaint to the GMC about the “PACE authors” 

 https://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/My_Complaint_to_the_GMC_about_the_PACE_authors 

Dr Myhill submitted evidence showing the harm done to ME/CFS sufferers by the administration of CBT and GET. More than 200 letters were sent to the GMC detailing such harm, and over 10,000 sufferers added their lived experiences of harm to an online petition - https://www.change.org/p/the-general-medical-council-i-am-showing-my-support-for-dr-myhill-s-complaint-to-the-gmc-about-the-pace-authors 

Further details of the harm caused to ME/CFS sufferers by CBT and GET were submitted to NICE as part of their review process of CG53. See https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg53/evidence/appendix-c-stakeholder-consultation-comments-table-pdf-4602203536

In view of the evidence that

·         the use of CBT or GET for ME/CFS is not supported by the scientific literature

·         the use of CBT or GET for ME/CFS patients results in harm

and notwithstanding the delays in publishing the new NICE guideline on ME/CFS, action must be taken forthwith regarding the current guidance, CG53.

We, the undersigned,  

---require that NICE withdraws CG53 immediately 
---affirm that having no NICE guidance in place for ME/CFS is better than having the current guidance CG53

 
Petition submitted by Dr Myhill.

0 have signed. Let’s get to 2,500!
At 2,500 signatures, this petition is more likely to get picked up by local news!