Support our Call for a Community Benefits Agreement for LeBreton Flats
This petition had 79 supporters
What if we could come together to design a community that works for everyone?
The LeBreton Flats redevelopment is up for discussion once again and there has been no mention of a Community Benefits Agreement (CBA) in the process. A CBA has proven itself as an ideal model that creates positive social impact in large scale urban infrastructure projects.
Redevelopments have ripple effects that impact communities for decades to come and CBA’s can ensure that positive impacts transpire for the future.
These agreements are only effective if the community is engaged in all stages of the process. Now is an important time to come together to define a community that benefits us all.
In 1962, 2,800 residents lost their entire community when the Flats were expropriated by the Canadian Government. It’s in our hands to ensure that the redevelopment of LeBreton Flats meets community needs and provides long-lasting benefits that transcend the project itself.
We need to make sure that history doesn’t repeat itself. #CBA4LeBreton
Call to Action - How to get involved
- Support this initiative on Change.org
- Complete the NCC’s online survey and ask that the redevelopment process include an opportunity for a Community Benefits Agreement – Survey available on June 18 at 5 pm until July 2, 2019, at midnight. https://surveys.hkperspectives.com/s3/Building-LeBreton
- Share on Social Media #CBA4LeBreton
A CBA for the Flats might include:
- A commitment to social procurement and utilization of local social enterprises.
- Targeted hiring practices to address equity in employment and youth under-employment.
- Development of new apprentice opportunities on the development site.
- Mitigation of adverse impact on the surrounding community during the redevelopment.
- Set-asides for affordable housing.
- Environmental impact targets.
To learn more about Community Benefits Agreements:
- What Are Community Benefits
- Community Benefits Agreements
- Community Benefits in Practice and In Policy
Today: Ottawa is counting on you
Ottawa Street needs your help with “The National Capital Commission: Support our Call for a Community Benefits Agreement for LeBreton Flats”. Join Ottawa and 78 supporters today.